How to Find the Best Realtor in Kenya
Making an investment in the real estate industry in Kenya is not an easy task especially as a first-timer. There are many factors that you need to consider before spending your hard-earned money to rent or buy a house. The best way to go about it is by working with a good real estate agent who can guide you in your house hunting mission.
There are many property agents in Kenya to work with. But how do you narrow down your search and settle on working with one over the other?
Tips on identifying the best properties agent in Kenya:
- Get Referrals from Your Circle – After you have decided on the location you want to invest in, look for an agent that has specialized in that area. These agents are well versed with the area and have listings that fit your needs and within your budget. If you have friends and family who live in the location you want to move to, chances are they used an agent to find their house. Ask for recommendations on the best agent to work with.
- Find a Well-Informed Agent – A good agent knows the pros and cons of the neighborhood you want to move to. If there are any risks with the house, he/she should be honest and tell you about it from the on-set. An agent should tell you about any challenges related to security, water crisis, and any investment opportunities in the area. Another important thing he/she should know about the social amenities in the area. Are there hospitals, malls and schools?
- Gauge Personality and Skills – During your house hunting mission, you will be spending much time with your real estate agent since you are all working towards a common goal. Gauge his/her personal attributes like communication skills, negotiation skills, honesty and whether he/she has your interests at heart.
- Research – There are many methods one can employ to gather information pertaining a house. Whichever method you use to do your research, always research the agent. Does he work under an organization or does he work alone? What type of listings does he have? Are there any online reviews about the agent? Don’t blindly pay for anything before you have done proper research.
- Find a Caring Agent – A good agent should also always put your interests first instead of only focusing on making money from you. Agents will charge you a fee to help you with your property search. You should know exactly what you want to make it easier for your agent to show you different houses. The agent should not be in a hurry to find you a place so that he can make money from another property seeker. Make sure to ask as many questions as you want and don’t feel pressured to settling for something just because the agent wants to get paid.
Note: Searching for a house is not a walk in the park. Therefore, exercise patience. Having an idea of what you want might not be the same as what you find on the ground. Start the process early, decide on what you can compromise on, and stick within your budget. Don’t strain yourself paying monthly bills which you can avoid.